First Blogspot: a toast to 2008...I will miss you!

Author: Wendi /

Well, as the new year has begun, I am ready for change. I am switching from the buggy interface of myspace, and trying out blogspot. It seems more streamlined, more grown-up, in my humble opinion.

I really enjoyed 2008. It was a great year, despite the cruddy economy, etcetera. In fact, I really learned a lesson that one can not only make the best of a situation---but have an awe inspiring year by ignoring the things we really can't control and focusing on what you can. You can still go to the park and walk among the fresh air and trees. You can still lose yourself in a hug with your kids and tell them that you love them more than anyone else on earth---and feel it back. You can still have friends over for dinner and cook hotdogs, because the point is getting together, not the meal that you serve. You can still be thankful for all that you have, and not focus on what you don't.

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to travel this year. I still get goosebumps when I start to plan an upcoming trip, and being in the various places did not disappoint. We had the time of our lives seeing foreign places as well as cities and towns in the good ole' U.S. of A. We used our entire wad of airline miles in an entire year. We probably won't travel for awhile, but it was worth it.

But more than the travel, it was a great year to spend with our friends and family.

Our daughters bring us an abundance of love and laughter that is indescribable. I have really enjoyed them as they are becoming little people. It is cool---and sometimes a bit disconcerting---when they express themselves in a logical manner that differs from our viewpoint. Yes, they are becoming their own self-expressing entities, little adults, and I suppose that is the goal: eventual self-reliance and independence. Yet, it is scary, too. As a true self-proclaimed control freak, I struggle with this metamorphisis, as well as enjoy it.

Our friends in Benicia are a step above stellar. I can't say enough about the joy that they bring us. I have met the most generous, kind-hearted, funny, intelligent and loyal people on the planet in our little town. There is nothing that I wouldn't do for these people, and I am in wonderment of how the group will rally around to help someone in need, or just to celebrate another birthday. In times of rain or sun, these people are there for you. I don't know many people who get the chance to experience what we have in our little town, and I am extremely grateful for this experience.

I am still wrestling what to "put out to the universe" as my wishes for 2009. Last year, on January 3rd, 2008, I asked for the following on my myspace account:

  • good times with kids, family and friend
  • staking our business to a new level
  • being the best mom, wife and friend that I can be
  • helping people in need
  • meeting new people
  • travelling
  • taking any sort of class to help me become a more enlightened person (my brain needs something to think about other than the daily activities)
  • becoming more spiritual
  • giving back to my community
  • attending and enjoying my 20 year high school reunion
Here is the weird thing: all of them, except for one, came into fruition. So, since I believe in the power of intention, especially writing one's intentions, I am going to be careful about what I ask for.
So, stay tuned. I would be interested in hearing any ideas.
I now hereby raise my glass of green tea to 2008; it was a wonderful year. A big thanks to the universe, my family, my friends and God for making it all happen!

4 comments:

Peaches said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!! I am looking forward to reading the thoughts going on in that pretty, little head of yours.

XOXO PEACHES

forever folding laundry said...

Hooray, you're a blogger too! This will be fun! =)

~KB

jenny said...

Hi Wend! Yeah for your new blog! I will check it often. Love your last post of 2008. You and I think so much alike. Thanks for sharing. Love and miss you!

Mainly a midwife said...

I'm glad to see you are blogging.. It's fun to see what friends are up to. Happy New Year!

Post a Comment